By Mary Andreolli*
UMCOR is working with disaster coordinators and early response teams in Louisiana and Texas to provide relief to the many people whose lives have been impacted by hurricane Harvey. We will continue to update this page and UMCOR social media as we receive new information.
Wednesday, August 30
In the Rio Texas Annual Conference, Early Response Teams are at work. For teams interested in supporting the relief efforts there, please visit the conference webpage https://riotexas.org/harvey. Remember that relief teams come in with training and an invitation.
About 20 churches in the Texas Annual Conference are serving as shelters. It is too soon for Early Response Teams, though cleaning and hygiene kits are being distributed. More kits will be needed. Please go to http://www.umcor.org/UMCOR/Relief-Supplies for more information about preparing kits.
In the Central Texas Conference, one ER Team will deploy this weekend; two more next week. As kits are distributed, more are needed. For those in the conference, please contact Sheryl Crumrine for more information firstname.lastname@example.org.
The people of the Louisiana Conference, already responding to massive flooding in 2016, are gearing up for Harvey’s anticipated arrival. They are building kits, putting ER Teams on alert, and enacting disaster plans and shelter preparation.
Tuesday, August 29
Severe flooding on interstate highways and roads caused UMCOR Sager Brown delivery of cleaning kits to be re-routed to Beaumont, Texas.
UMCOR Sager Brown Depot attempted a delivery of 1,000 cleaning kits to Conroe, Texas to affiliate warehouse, the Texas Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church Mission Center.
Monday, August 28
UMCOR disaster recovery grants for Hurricane Harvey were issued to Texas Annual Conference and the Rio Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church. UMCOR Sager Brown prepared a load of 1,000 cleaning kits to be distributed in Texas.
VIDEO: JENNIFER SILVER
Friday, August 25
5 Things You Can Do
1. Please continue to pray for those whose lives have been impacted by hurricane/tropical storm Harvey. Please also pray for the Early Response Teams, disaster coordinators, and many volunteers in The Texas Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church, Louisiana Conference of The United Methodist Church, Río Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church and Central Texas Conference who are working tirelessly to provide relief after Harvey.
2. Make relief kits, send complete kits to our relief-supply depots or an affiliate warehouse. Download the packing list and shipping label.
3. Partner with UMCOR in responding to the needs of communities and individuals impacted by Hurricane Harvey by giving to Advance #901670:
To give by mail:
P.O. Box 9068
New York, NY 10087-9068
Please note in the memo line: Advance 901670
4. Donate only those items requested.
5. Please wait for an invitation to volunteer.
Download this UMCOR church bulletin insert to share 5 Things You Can Do in response to Harvey.
To keep relief supplies in stock, give to Material Resources Advance #901440.
UMCOR - United Methodist Committee On Relief is grateful for your relentless prayers and support.