Sewing kits foster independence rather than dependence. Women can make clothing in their own size and in the style of their culture. Cottage industries often grow out of the sewing classes where women use these kits to practice valuable income-generating skills.
Sewing Kit Value: $28 per kit
Assembly & Shipping Instructions
Download: Kit Assembly Instructions (PDF) | Shipping Label & Packing List
Sewing Kit Materials
- 3 continuous yards of fabric
- Cotton or cotton blend only
- No heavy duty, corduroy, knit, etc. please
- No patriotic, religious, holiday, camouflage, or military patterned fabric please
- 1 package needles
- Hand needles in original packaging only
- 1 spool thread
- Medium to large spool
- No travel kit thread, please
- 5-8 buttons
- 5/8-inch size or larger
- No loose buttons
- Leave buttons in original packaging or fasten all together
- 1 plastic bag
- One-gallon size sealable bags only.
Place Sewing Kit in the plastic bag and seal.
- All items must be new.
- Do not wash the fabric as it will then be considered used.
- All emergency kits are carefully planned to make them usable in the greatest number of situations. Since strict rules often govern product entry into international countries, it is important that kits contain only the requested items, nothing more.
- Do not include any personal notes, money, or additional material in the kits. These things must be painstakingly removed and will delay the shipment.
Packing & Shipping Instructions
- Box Weight: Each packed box cannot exceed 66 pounds.
- Complete 2 packing lists: one for your records and one to put on the shipping box.
- Paste the shipping label / packing list on the outside of each box you send. The shipping list helps the depot to quickly process kits.
- Processing & Shipping Costs: Please enclose an envelope containing at least $1 for each kit you send. This donation enables kits to be sent to areas in need. For Cleaning Buckets, please enclose $1.50.
Last updated Jan. 2015.
Help Purchase Supplies
If you prefer to donate toward the purchase of supplies instead of buying and shipping them, give online to Material Resources, UMCOR Advance #901440.
Sending Assembled Kits
You can send relief supply kits to:
UMCOR Sager Brown Depot
PO Box 850
131 Sager Brown Road
Baldwin, LA 70514-0850
Contact For Help: 1-800-814-8765