Many women do not have swaddling clothes with which to welcome their child into the world. Layette kits provide basic supplies for their baby's needs.
Layette Kit Value: $45 per kit
Download: Kit Assembly Instructions (PDF) | Instructional Video | Layette Nightgown Pattern (PDF) | Rectangle Sweater Pattern (PDF) | Shipping Label & Packing List
Assembly & Shipping Instructions
Layette Kit Materials
- 6 cloth diapers
- Prefolded or plain diapers only;
- No disposable diapers.
- 2 washcloths
- Infant size only;
- No adult washcloths.
- 2 diaper pins
- Must have protective plastic closures;
- No regular safety pins.
- 1 sweater or jacket
- Must open from the front;
- May be hand knitted, crocheted, or sewn;
- Hooded sweatshirts are acceptable.
- 2 receiving blankets
- Sizes may range from 28x28 inches to 32x32 inches;
- No crib blankets please.
Lay one of the receiving blankets flat on a table. Set aside the diaper pins and place all remaining items on top of the blanket. Fold the blanket around the items and secure the bundle with the diaper pins.
- All items must be new.
- Do not wash any of the items as they will then be considered used.
- All emergency kits are carefully planned to make them usable in the greatest number of situations. Since strict rules often govern product entry into international countries, it is important that kits contain only the requested items, nothing more.
- Do not include any personal notes, money, or additional material in the kits. These things must be painstakingly removed and will delay the shipment.
Packing & Shipping Instructions
- Box Weight: Each packed box cannot exceed 66 pounds.
- Complete 2 packing lists: one for your records and one to put on the shipping box.
- Paste the shipping label / packing list on the outside of each box you send. The shipping list helps the depot to quickly process kits.
- Processing & Shipping Costs: Please enclose an envelope containing at least $1 for each kit you send. This donation enables kits to be sent to areas in need. For Cleaning Buckets, please enclose $1.50.
Last updated Jan. 2015
Help Purchase Supplies
If you prefer to donate toward the purchase of supplies instead of buying and shipping them, give online to Material Resources, UMCOR Advance #901440.
Sending Assembled Kits
You can send relief supply kits to:
UMCOR Sager Brown Depot
PO Box 850
131 Sager Brown Road
Baldwin, LA 70514-0850
Contact For Help: 1-800-814-8765