UMCOR offers training to local churches, districts and conferences to prepare God’s people to respond when disaster strikes a community. The courses on this calendar represent some of the training opportunities available through UMCOR.
To attend an already-scheduled training, please contact the person listed with that particular event.
UMCOR provides training for Early Response Teams; however, United Methodist Volunteers in Mission (UMVIM) coordinates these volunteers. If you’re interested in participating in a short-term volunteer team, please contact your jurisdictional or conference UMVIM coordinator. Visit the Jurisdictional websites for the most up to date information: Northeastern | Southeastern | North Central | South Central | Western
For information about scheduling a training event in your area, email or call Amelia Mendizabal, 212-870-3892 or Greg Forrester, 212-870-3563.
10-13 - Western Jurisdiction Disaster Response Academy
Location: Ontario, California
Contact: Sign up @ WesternJurisdictionUMC.org/DRA
Children's Disaster Services
Children's Disaster Services and its trained and certified volunteers provide care for children and families following disasters. The 27-hour overnight workshops provide required training for volunteers who wish to serve in the program.
• Kalamazoo, Michigan, Skyridge Church of the Brethren, September 30 - October 1, 2016. The local contact, Kristi Woodwyk, may be reached at 616-886-7530 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Manassas, Virginia, Manassas Church of the Brethren, October 14 - 15, 2016. The local contact, Sonja Harrell, may be reached at 703-368-4683 or email@example.com.
• Seattle, Washington, American Red Cross-NW Region, December 2-3, 2016. The local contact, Maria Halverson, may be reached at 206-779-2709 or firstname.lastname@example.org. THIS WORKSHOP IS FULL. We have a waiting list.
• Independence, Missouri, Remnant Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-Day Saints, February 3 - 4, 2017. Local contact, Skye Paige, may be reached at 816-945-7595 or email@example.com
• LaVerne, California, LaVerne Church of the Brethren, February 25-26, 2017. The local contact, Kathy Benson, may be reached at 909-593-4868.
• Sebring, Florida, Sebring Church of the Brethren, March 3-4, 2017. The local contact, Terry Smalley, may be reached at 863-253-1098 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• In addition, we have 2 training workshops scheduled specifically for Child Life Specialists: Tampa, Florida 9/10/16 and Dallas, Texas 3/25/17
29 - Connecting Neighbors (Ready Congregants, Ready Churches, Ready Response)
Conference: Upper New York
Location: First United Methodist Church of Fredonia, 25 Church St, Fredonia, New York
Contact: Linda Cooper @ (716) 785-0174